At Goodwill Industries of Kentucky, we provide pathways out of poverty for thousands of Kentuckians every year by using a proprietary self-sufficiency matrix that leads individuals to improved life scenarios. The path to self-sufficiency guides men and women through a four-step process that begins with barrier removal work and ends with permanent employment. See below for more details.
Housing, transportation, food, safety, health, childcare, etc.
- Intake-Self Sufficiency Matrix
- Set goals based on score & priority
- Soft Skills
- Initial work placement at Goodwill (preferably) or another intermediary employer
Career path planning
- Career exploration, family/social relations, GED, etc.
- Choose pathway based on testing and interest
- Job shadowing
- Create plan with HR/career coach
Note: All Goodwill employees and clients have a dedicated career coach to work with them on their self-sufficiency status
Work and learn
- Training/credentialing 1-2 days per week (stipend by Goodwill Works)
- Working at Goodwill or another sponsor employer 3-4 days per week