With temperatures dropping below zero degrees this past weekend, Goodwill Industries of Kentucky and other local nonprofits worked together to set up a homeless shelter at Broadbent Arena in Louisville.
The shelter – made possible by Goodwill, the Coalition for the Homeless and Feed Louisville – opened on Thursday, December 22 and remained open through Tuesday, December 27. Those staying at the arena were fed three meals per day and had access to showers.
For more about the shelter, watch these recent news reports, including a clip from international network BBC:
- BBC: Goodwill Industries of Kentucky’s Stefphan Gholston joins BBC to discuss shelter
- WDRB: Emergency shelter at Broadbent Arena brings ‘heartwarming’ reprieve amid dangerous cold
- WLKY: Broadbent Arena serves as warming center during weekend cold snap
- WLKY: Broadbent Arena remaining open 1 more day for those needing shelter from frigid temperatures
- WAVE: Organizations working together to shelter the homeless in freezing weather